This Chocolate or Carob Sponge Cake makes a lovely rich cake for special occasions, Chirstmas, Birthdays or just as a little treat occasionally. If you are avoiding Caffeine, Carob makes a great alternative and tastes just as good.
Not for a slimming diet unfortunately. You could replace the sugar in the cake mixture with Xylitol to reduce the carbs and calories.
Chocolate or Carob Sponge Cake - Dairy and Gluten free
- 3 Eggs
- 6 oz Caster Sugar
- 6 oz Dairy free Margarine
- 3 oz Gluten free flour I use Dove's Freee Bread Flour
- 3 oz Tapioca flour
- 3 teaspoons Gluten free baking powder
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa powder or Carob Powder for caffeine free
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
For the Filling
- 4 oz Icing Sugar
- 2 oz Dairy free Margarine I use Pure sunflower spread
- 2 teaspoons Cocoa powder or Carob powder to avoid caffeine
- 1 teaspoon Caramel flavouring
- Put all the cake ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
- Grease and flour two 8" Sandwich tins
- Share the mixture out equally between the tins. Bang them on the worktop to make the mixture level out
- Put in a preheated oven at 175°C for about 25 - 30 minutes or until the top feels springy to the touch and you don't leave a finger impression on it 🙂
- Take out of the oven, run a knife round the outside to loosen from the edge of the tins
- Leave in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a rack to cool
- For the Filling
- Stir all the ingredients together until it's not dusty
- Beat until light and fluffy
- Spread on to one of the cake halves and put the other cake on top to sandwich them together.
- Dust with icing sugar and store in an airtight container.