I never realised how easy it is to make lemon curd. I (wrongly) assumed it would need cooking for ages like Jam and Marmalade but it only takes about 20 minutes. So, for years, thinking we couldn’t have lemon curd in our house because of the dairy content, I’m now making it a lot for cakes, pastries and sandwiches.
All you need are Lemons, Xylitol, Dairy free spread, Eggs and a Jam jar, which should be sterilised. This is one way to do it:
Wash your jars and the lids in hot soapy water, but do not dry them. Instead, leave them to stand upside down on a roasting tray while they’re still wet. Pop the tray of clean, wet jars and lids in to a preheated oven at 160-180ºC for about 15 mins
Don’t put scorching hot lemon curd into a cold jar or it will probably shatter. Warm the jar and let the curd cool slightly.
Fabulous Lemon Curd - Dairy Free & Sugar Free
- 2 Eggs - beaten
- 2 Lemons zest and juice
- 50 g Dairy free spread
- 100 g Granulated Xylitol
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Place a heat resistant bowl over the top.
- Put spread into bowl until melted
- Add lemon zest, juice and sugar
- Stir for 5 minutes
- Add beaten eggs gradually, stirring all the time.
- Give it a stir every minute for 15 minutes until it thickens
- Strain through a sieve and fill a 300ml sterilised jam jar