These tasty little Bakewell Tarts won’t help you if you’re on a Slimming Diet but they are really moreish. Once you’ve had one, it’ll be hard to resist a second one. The pastry just melts in your mouth. Gluten free pastry has a reputation for being hard. But not when you use my recipe.
Small Bakewell Tarts – Gluten and Dairy Free
- 2 oz Caster Sugar or Total Sweet if you want to go sugar free to reduce carbs
- 2 oz Dairy free margarine
- 2 oz Ground Almonds
- 1 Tblsp Gluten free flour
- 1 egg
- 3 drops of Vanilla Essence
- 9 oz Gluten free Self Raising flour I use Glebe which doesn't contain Corn
- 3 oz Dairy free margarine I use Pure Dairy free Sunflower or Soya Spread
- 3 oz Caster Sugar or Xylitol for less carbs
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt
- 4 oz Raspberry jam for filling Seedless
- 2 oz Icing sugar mixed to a paste with a little water for topping
- 6 Glacé Cherries - Halved I like the dark red ones
To make the Frangipan
- Beat sugar and Dairy free spread until well mixed, add the egg and vanilla, then stir in the Almonds and Flour until a nice smooth mixture.
To make the Pastry
- Mix the Sugar and Dairy free spread together with a wooden spoon but don't over beat.
- Add the egg and beat in until mixed thoroughly
- Gradually fold in the flour and if it's too sticky keep adding more flour until it's brought together like normal pastry.
- Wrap in clingfilm and put in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or until well chilled.
- Sprinkle flour on a board and roll out the pastry very carefully. Dust the top of the pastry as well to stop the roller sticking to it.
- Cut into 12 rounds and place them in a shallow hole cake tin. I find lifting them up with a cake slice works really well. If you break the pastry, just patch it up.
- Put a teaspoon of jam in each tart
- Spoon the frangipan mixture over each tart, covering the jam (see picture)
- Place in the oven for approx 20 minutes until a lovely golden colour and risen nicely
- Top the Bakewells with the Glace Icing and Cherries or for a change Flaked Almonds