I found this old recipe card whilst sorting out my kitchen cupboards this week and thought I’d adapt it for Dairy and Gluten Free. It worked beautifully and the result is a scrumptious moist cake.
You could replace the coffee for cocoa and make it a chocolate cake, or use as a Brownie Recipe.
Rich Coffee and Nut Cake – Gluten & Dairy Free
- 5 ozs Soft dark brown sugar
- 3 ozs dairy free margarine
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 ozs yogurt dairy free
- 2 ozs Gluten free Flour
- 2 ozs Tapioca flour
- 2 tspns gluten free baking powder
- 3 teaspoons coffee dissolved in tiny amount of water
For the Glaze
- 2 tspn instant coffee dissolved in a small amount of water
- 3 ozs icing sugar
- water to mix
- 2 ozs chopped nuts optional
- Beat Sugar and Dairy free spread
- Add vanilla, eggs, coffee and yogurt
- Gently add, flour & baking powder. Mix in until combined.
- Grease a 2lb loaf tin sprinkle with flour, then tip out excess.
- Pour the mixture in to the tin and bake at 170°C for approx 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Turn cake out on to a rack and leave to cool completely.
- Make the topping by combining the coffee and icing sugar, then add enough water to make a nice spreadable icing. Sprinkle chopped nuts over the top
Pure Dairy free spread - Sunflower or Soya
Alpro soya yogurt