As any gluten free cook will tell you, it is very difficult to get batter or bread to brown nicely like the ‘real thing’. Also, batters and pastry products always seem a bit on the hard side. Not the case with this recipe.
This batter is just like the real thing. No one would know it doesn’t contain wheat or dairy. You can use it to coat fish, chicken, mushrooms, sausages or anything else you’d like to batter.
Crispy Batter – Gluten and Dairy Free
- 1 egg
- 2 ozs Tapioca Flour
- 2 ozs Doves Freee Bread flour
- 1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
- 2 teaspoons soya flour
- Mix Tapioca flour, Bread flour, Baking powder and soya flour together
- In a separate bowl beat the egg
- Gradually add the flour until the mixture just drops off a spoon.
- Dip your food of choice some flour and then into the batter.
- Deep fry in very hot fat around 190°C for 2-3 minutes, lift out and wait for fat to return to heat, then cook for a further few minutes until the food you've chosen is cooked and the batter is golden. For fish nuggets this will be about 3 minutes, Fish fillets or chicken popcorn approx another 5 minutes.
- Tip out onto some kitchen paper to drain off excess oil