I’ve never tasted Meatloaf but like most people, I know it’s really popular in the US. In my head I thought it would resemble something like a giant burger shaped like a rectangular loaf. How wrong was I.
It’s absolutely gorgeous. Tender and mouthwateringly moreish. I found this recipe on the website The Wholesome Dish. This is the original recipe The Best Classic Meatloaf Recipe but it contained wheat and milk. So, I decided to make my own gluten and dairy free version. You must use lean minced beef (5%) fat or you’ll end up with a greasy version.
Meatloaf – Free from Dairy & Gluten
- 500 g Lean Minced Beef – 5% fat
- 1 cup Gluten free breadcrumbs Aunty Lils Gluten free bread
- ½ cup Minced Onion
- 2 Minced garlic cloves
- ¼ cup Dairy free cream Provamel or Alpro Soya
- ¼ cup water
- 1 Egg – large
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestshire Sauce
- 1 tsp Dried Parsley
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
For the topping:
- ¼ cup Tomato Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Cider Vinegar
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the main ingredients and mix very well until completely combined. I like to use my mixer with a dough hook.
- Put the mixture into a 2lb bread tin lined with greaseproof paper and press down firmly.
- In a small bowl combine the topping ingredients
- Pour over the meat mixture and spread evenly
- Bake in the oven uncovered for 55 minutes
- Let the meatloaf rest for 8 – 10 minutes (or it may fall apart)