This recipe is from an old set of cook books from the 1970’s but a lovely sauce nonetheless.
Barbecue Spareribs - Gluten and Dairy Free
The original recipe says to cover the uncooked ribs with the sauce and bake for 1 hour but I like to pre-boil the ribs as it makes them more tender.
- 1 kg Pork ribs approx 15 ribs
- 30 mls Vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 150 mls tomato purée
- 45 mls lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried sage
- 60 g soft brown sugar
- 150 mls beef stock
- 70 mls Worcester sauce
- 2 teaspoons english mustard
- Put the ribs in a saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil
- Boil for 1 hour
- Remove the ribs and drain.
- Put the oil in a frying pan and add the onions and garlic. Fry over a medium heat for 10 minutes until translucent and soft but not brown
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Put the ribs into the sauce and leave to marinade for a few hours.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C
- Lay the ribs on a rack over a roasting tin and cook for about 30 minutes or until they are brown and crisp, basting every so often.
The serving size really depends on whether this will be a starter or main meal. So, you might like more or less than stated.